Monday, September 05, 2016

"Hell is where the cooks are English..."



There's a funny anecdote about cultural differences. I'm sure you've heard it before, but I'll write it down here anyhow:


"Heaven is where...
the cooks are French,
the policemen are English,
the mechanics are German,
the lovers are Italian,
and it's all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where...
the cooks are English,
the policemen are German,
the mechanics are French,
the lovers are Swiss,
and it's all organized by the Italians."


Even though this text is filled with generalizations and stereotypes, it still says something about people in different countries, their characters and habits.

I visited England again about a month ago, and I must say that there is some truth to the belief that the English cuisine may not be the best in the world. It's actually fine by me, since I'm not a 'food enthusiast' myself. I'm satisfied if there is enough healthy food on the plate; I don't crave for culinary experiences all the time. Naturally, sometimes it is nice to spend an evening enjoying good company and a good meal at the same time, but like I said, I don't need new, exotic dishes in which the cook has invested huge amounts of time and effort. The "naked chef -philosophy" appeals to me; simple basic ingredients, easy recipies, full stomach.


Eton mess; my kind of dessert. Easy recipe, easy to make, delicious!


That is why it is such a relief to go to England! I don't have to pretend that I am interested in spices or sauces or different kinds of meat. Fine dining is not mentioned, thank Goodness! Eating is just something that has to be done, and it's perfectly okay if you just want to get it over with. In Finland cooking is veeery much in fashion these days, and it seems obvious that everyone is completely into food and cooking and everything related to it. With my not-so-passionate relationship with food, I feel like the odd man out when this topic is concerned. That is why for instance Eton mess is a brilliant dessert in my opinion. Just whisk and mix and put them in a bowl and that's it! Who says cooking or baking has to take hours and require dozens of pots and kettles and boiling and cooking and frying and baking?!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, very good story.

Wishes :ah

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment, I'm glad you liked my text!