Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Sarcastic people, bring them on!

This time I thought about contemplating about humour. Lately I've come across with the fact that humour is actually a very difficult and delicate matter. Things that are extremely funny to some can be incomprehensible, or even in some cases, insulting to others.

Take Monty Python, for example. Or The Fast Show -one of my favourite BBC comedy sketch show programmes. The humour in both of these series is so unique that I guess it divides people sharply into two categories: you either love them or hate them. Understand them fully or not at all. Laugh all the time or just don't get the jokes. It's the same with comic strips, stand up comedy, and -naturally- the most difficult forms of humour, irony and sarcasm.

I myself am prone to both sarcasm and irony, although I am fully aware of the risks they entail. Irony can be misunderstood, and sarcastic people are often perceived as mean and intimidating. That is why one has to bear this in mind, and use these fine forms of humour sparingly and only in selected company. I have a small poster on my office wall saying: "Sorry! The lifestyle you ordered is currently out of stock." I've noticed that most people don't get the joke. Those who do make it instantly to my 'A Potential Candidate' -list. Those who make it this far have a good chance of getting to my 'Favourite People On The Planet' -list. Needless to say, this list is not terribly long (quality over quantity!), and all the people on that list have gained my friendship, access to my thoughts, as well as my utmost respect.

The same type of sense of humour is not a bad criterion to choose friends, I think. Like I mentioned, I like sarcastic and ironic people, and I've noticed that almost always these people are like me; sarcastic on the outside, but sensitive and vulnerable creatures on the inside. Usually these people also know how to handle other people like them, and don't use their sarcastic wit to hurt their friends. It takes one to know one, and with sarcastic people it's "us vs. the inequality of the world" or "us vs. stupid idiots", but not "you vs. me". In that sense, it seems funny that even though sarcastic people are often seen as scary, I always feel safe around them. It really does take one to know one.

To conclude, I just want to say that yes, I realize that someone having just read this text might feel irritated about my listing people in my mind. Well, you might wanna consider the possibility that maybe this was just sarcasm on my part...

No comments: