Monday, September 08, 2014

Language teacher, language student


The autumn term is just about to begin, and I start my teachings tomorrow. Even though I've been a teacher for years, it is always a little bit exciting to start a new term. There are new students and new groups, and it takes a while for people to get to know each other and the teacher, and vice versa, of course. This autumn is new and different for me also for another reason: I'm going to take on the role of a language student myself!

It's been my dream for a long time to learn to speak Italian. I've been to Italy several times, and it's always just as frustrating not to be able to communicate in their own language when the fact is that I would like to know Italian at least somehow. In my youth I studied French, so I believe that learning Italian might not be impossible for me, but starting tenacious, long-term study of a new foreign language has not been possible until now. Or, so it seems at the moment, but let's see how I'll find the time and the energy to study during the dark months in the winter. As a language teacher I am very much aware that learning a new language from scratch takes time and effort, and you'll learn to master any language slowly and gradually. But anyhow, I'm still excited, and as you can see from the picture, I'm an eager student who already has bought herself books and pencils and is ready to start. Uno, due, tre, parliamo l'italiano...

No comments: