Friday, November 30, 2012

Week 48; the last week of teaching before Christmas

Like it's indicated in the heading, this week was the last week of teaching before our Christmas break. On Monday we talked about Christmassy things. First of all, we went through vocabulary concerning Christmas as a holiday, different foods, plants, decorations, baked goods etc. Secondly, we talked about different Christmas traditions in our country and abroad. We also compared different Christmas customs inside Finland, and it turned out that there are differences for instance between Christmas foods in western and eastern parts of the country! I am from eastern Finland, and for us it has always been obvious that we have Karelian stew/hot pot at Christmas, whereas in the western part of the country it is apparently never included in the Christmas menu! The same applies also to liver casserole and some other dishes. Also it is interesting to find out about other traditions concerning Christmas, like when it is the right time to bring in the Christmas tree. I learnt on Monday that some people agree with my husband thinking that the right time to decorate the Christmas tree is on the morning of Christmas Eve! I have always thought that this is inevitably too late; in my opinion everything should be ready for Christmas before Christmas Eve! You can only guess how infuriating it is when my husband sets off to buy Christmas presents on Christmas Eve! He says it's the best time; things are already on sale and there are no queues anywhere. Yeah yeah, but like I said; it is too late, things should be ready before Christmas Eve...!!

On Tuesday we also talked a bit about Christmassy things, but actually we spent most of our lesson watching a theatrical performance and discussing it. We all went to see the new play of our black light theatre group Lumo, and we liked it immensely. The performance mixed black light theatre techniques, puppet theatre and 'regular' theatre. Also different effects like music, songs, different sounds, and the use of darkness, lights and shadows give a special atmosphere to the show. It was really worth seeing; we strongly recommend it!

On Thursday I actually had a substitute teacher since my cold got worse and I also got an ear infection on top of everything else! I have been feeling under the weather for a few weeks now, and in addition to a sore throat, a cough and a cold I also started having a bit of a temperature and an ear infection. That is why my boss and I agreed that it would probably be best if I stayed at home for the rest of the week and tried to get myself well again. I got some antibiotics for the ear, and I hope they'll start working soon. Me left ear is pretty sore and it is also deaf at the moment, so I feel pretty uncomfortable altogether.

All in all, it's been a nice term, and I have enjoyed working with my students. All of the groups are different from each other, and that is one of the things that makes my work interesting and versatile. Thank you all; have a Very Merry Christmas, and I'll see you again in January! 

No comments: