Friday, January 18, 2013

Week 3

This week started a bit poorly; I had to be on sick leave on Monday and Tuesday. I got back to work on Wednesday and still felt nauseus and weak, but was able to get through the day. On Thursday I felt better, and we had our discussion lessons as usual. For some reason our group was quite petite, but we were still able to maintain vivid discussion. We actually talked about a variety of topics ranging from impolite doctors to films we've recently seen. The actual topic of which I had prepared some material for the lesson was accommodation, but like I mentioned, we also talked about many other things.

Accommodation will be the topic for the Monday and Tuesday groups next week, and on Thursday I thought that we could go through different proverbs. Some students have actually asked if we could compare proverbs in English and Finnish, so next week we'll do just that! Some proverbs are almost identical in these two languages, like for instance "a rolling stone gathers no moss" and "vierivät kivet eivät sammaloidu", but instantly it might be quite difficult to know how to translate for instance "fine words butter no parsnips" into Finnish!

No comments: